How to Clean Ovens and Oven Racks
By Laura Parker
March 14, 2019
No one likes cleaning ovens. Everyone thinks it's not that necessary or too hard to do. Mainly because not only do you have to clean the oven itself, but also its racks, that are probably covered in last week's (or last month's) lasagna. But not to worry, we here at Handy have a guide on how to clean your oven with all natural products that you probably already have in your kitchen.
To clean your oven, you'll need the following: baking soda, water, rubber gloves, damp dishcloth, plastic or silicon spatula (NO METAL), spray bottle, white vinegar, and a little elbow grease.
Instructions on how to clean ovens:
- Empty the oven: make sure to remove EVERYTHING like your oven racks, pizza stones, and the oven thermometer.
- Make a baking soda paste: This is simple. Mix ½ cup of baking soda with three tablespoons of water into a bowl until you have the right "spreadability".
- Coat your oven: Strap on those gloves and coat the interior oven without covering the heating elements. Make sure to cover every inch you can. Those gloves are going to come out pretty gross, but it's going to be worth it! The baking soda paste may turn brown in some places, and that's fine. Just ensure that you lather well all of the greasy bits, and then rest for the night.
- Let it sit overnight: allow the baking soda paste to do its thing for at least 12 hours.
- Clean your oven racks: read specific instructions for this down below.
- Wipe out the oven: You’re going to take a damp dishcloth and wipe out all of the baking soda paste as best you can. If you can’t reach all of it, try scraping it out with a rubber/silicone spatula. Do not use a metal spatula! It will damage your oven.
- Spray some vinegar: if you still see baking soda residue leftover after wiping, spray some vinegar, and it will react with the baking soda.
- Wipe out the oven again: Take that same damp washcloth and wipe out the vinegar and baking soda mixture. Add more water or vinegar if needed to make sure your oven is shining and spotless.
- Replace the racks, and you're done!
For cleaning oven racks, you’ll need the following: two old towels, bathtub, hot water, dishwasher detergent, non-abrasive scrub brush, dry towels, and again, a little elbow grease.
How to clean oven racks:
- Take the racks out of the oven completely.
- Lay down some towels in your bathtub to make sure they don’t damage your tub.
- Cover the racks with hot water: Turn on the faucet in your tub and cover the oven racks in hot water.
- Pour in the dishwasher detergent: Measure out a 1/2 cup of dishwasher detergent and pour it in the water so it can get to work on the racks. Then let them soak for at least four hours or overnight.
- Scrub off any remaining gunk: Grab that scrub brush and get to work. It should be pretty easy after soaking and require only a little elbow grease.
- Rinse and dry the racks. Make sure to rinse your tub as well thoroughly.
- Return your racks to the oven: You’re all done!
Follow these easy instructions for how to clean your oven, and you're sure to be blinded by your oven's new sparkle. Thanks for reading and happy cleaning! To busy to clean your ovens? Get a Handy Pro to do the job and book your oven cleaning below!